Author Topic: Summer Flounder proposals for 2010  (Read 28626 times)

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
Summer Flounder proposals for 2010
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
In case nobody saw todays APP, here is the write up by John Oswald, staff writer, verbatim and my thoughts about the options:

"As for summer flounder, there will be a one percent reduction in quota and six options that have been submitted by the state approved by the technical committee for seasons and limits.

The options are as follows;

1-6 fish @ 18" from May 29 to Sept 6....101 days
2-4 fish @ 18" from May 23 to Sept 6....107 days
3-6 fish @ 18.5 from May 13 to Sept 13.124 days
4-6 fish @ 18.5 from May 29 to Sept 26..121 days
5-6 fish @ 18.8 from May 21 to Sept 12..115 days
6-6 fish @ 18.5 from May 29 to Sept 17..112 days

(Please check my numbers on the total days, I calculated them and not John Oswald, but I think I'm pretty close)

MY preference, without question, is Option 4 which gives me the second most number of days on the water, and runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend AND carries through deep into September when the larger fish are around throughout the state. It offers a fair number of fish per angler as an incentive for chartering AND I'll be Bassin' through all of May anyway. This allow me to take the least hit business wise and reduces the time in the fall from the end of Fluke to the startup of Bass again....NO BRAINER FOR ME!

I know others will have reasons for other options, but consider something. If we're really trying to keep as many people employed in this crappy economy as possible and for the longest possible time, let's pray the powers to be take into consideration who and how many people can best be served by choosing the best option.

Just my thoughts.......sorry for the rant. I may be wrong here, so what's your thoughts?

Capt. John

Edit hotrod, add image for facebook post
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:29:16 PM by Hotrod »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Summer Flounder proposals for 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
I agree with the longer past Labor Day being the the better option. The number of keepers is not as much a factor as the size and the time allowed on the water for the flatties.

The best thing to do so your voice is heard is to show up to the meeting in Gallaway Township(at least that is where it was last year) in March when this will be voted on. I was there last year and there was not a lot of fishermen present given the number of fishermen that are in this state.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 06:26:51 PM »
Thanks for the post Capt John.  t^
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:28:38 PM by Hotrod »

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
If you would be kind enough to alert me as to when that meeting in March is, I will make a very strong attempt to be there.

Thanks,

Capt. John

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
I would be in favor of option 4 as well.  But you know those in the more southern parts of the state will be pushing for an earlier start.

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
Irish Ayes,

Let's look at this another way....

The size of the fish, as far as I'm concerned is irrelevant! Why, because the longer you're out on the water, the greater the chances of catching more (greating quantity) fish, thus increasing your chances of scoring larger fish.....right? It's the law of averages. Sooner or later, after covering enough ground, you're bound to score some big fish.

So who cares about 18" or 18.5"? It doesn't matter. In time (TIME) it all will work out. I want time on the water. And for me, and most of the friends of mine who are recreational fisherman, they want more time.

Capt. John

p.s. I would bet that if you took a poll of ALL the party and charter captains in Monmouth and Ocean counties, they would probably give you the same answer. Give me the days on the water and over time, we'll score some impressive numbers.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
I think the time on the water is the most important thing, followed by the size limit and then the bag limit.

That is if the size and bag limit are somewhat reasonable.

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 07:45:06 PM »
I'm with you guys on this choice.

4-6 fish @ 18.5 from May 29 to Sept 26..121 days
Mark

Offline beachwalker

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
Option 4 gets my vote chrz

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »
I am also for #4!  It makes the most sense...you know what that means, though.

TT^

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 05:01:17 AM »
#4 also.

Offline njdiver

Marine Fisheries Council Meeting Location Changed
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:11:53 AM »

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife has been advised that the March 4, 2010,
Marine Fisheries Council  meeting location has been changed from Galloway to Toms River. 

The meeting will be held at 4 p.m. in the  L. Manuel Hirshblond Room in the Toms River
Township Office, 33 Washington Street,  Toms River, NJ   08753.

For information on this and other fish and wildlife councils and meeting schedules see http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/councils.htmhttp://www.njfishandwildlife.com/councils.htm on the division's website.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the info on the location change for the meeting NJDiver. Hopefully that location will get a better response from people, as it is more centrally located.  t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
 :headscra: I don't understand why they are hung up on a early start date. Why not go from mid june into October  ???
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
The south jersey guys want the earlier start because the get fish in the back waters before our fish come in.

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21:51 AM »
Option #4 for me too, I don't think that one area of the state should determine a start date.
Should be fair all concerned.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
Option #4 for me too, I don't think that one area of the state should determine a start date.
Should be fair all concerned.

True, true, true. But some people are hard to convince.  rgmn rgmn rgmn

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
The south jersey guys want the earlier start because the get fish in the back waters before our fish come in.

but they also get a later fall migration outbound....and they are mostly drum fishing in may anyway
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »
I'm for 18" and no bigger or It'll be 19 then 20 then 21 like NY. We overfish every year and then tighten the regs. Wish we had a 1 fish limit after the closure so we can take the big ones that are in the surf in Sept/Oct.

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
I'm for 18" and no bigger or It'll be 19 then 20 then 21 like NY. We overfish every year and then tighten the regs. Wish we had a 1 fish limit after the closure so we can take the big ones that are in the surf in Sept/Oct.

There is a man who has paid attention to history!!

NY has had to go up in size and shorten season every year since 2003. Each year, the restriction became even more harsh than the year before. So, the bigger they went, the more they overfished, the more they cut back, so the bigger they went, and on and on.

To date, this is the FIRST year they have been able to back down a bit, and they will STILL have the largest size limit on the eastern seaboard and one of if not the shortest season on the eastern seaboard.

Every time you give up size for season you are rolling the dice and one of them is loaded.

Getting size limit back is also one of the most difficult things. Notice that for the last three years the quota has gone up yet we have NEVER had an option of going down in size?

I'm sorry, but whomever said if you asked the partyboat guys they would agree never asked this partyboat guy or the dozens of others I deal with.

I like to think I am not so short sighted as to be willing to sacrifice my future for my present.

The question the businesses will need to ask themselves is, "Have we reached that point where we must forgo thoughts of the future, because without the present we will not be here in the future."

Many businesses are in that position with various fisheries. Obviously if at the end of the season you would not likely be in business with too restrictive a season then you should fight for the longest season.

However, I have spoken with dozens of captain from up and down the coast of NJ each year for nearly a decade about this issue (specifically the fluke regs each year) and have been on the states advisors panel for nearly that long as well.

SImple facts are that bigger fish weigh more, so you will get fewer fish to keep for the same number of pounds if the fish are bigger than before. It is simple math.  And our quota is in pounds, not numbers of fish.

Simple facts are that if the season is open, MRFSS will claim you landed fish, and landed them big time. It has been proven time and time again. If the season is open, you will land fish on a par with every other year, even in the middle of a hurricane. Yes, MRFSS claimed fish were landed when a hurricane was making landfall in the state.

Many years ago (7 to be exact) a bunch of us made the decision at the advisors meeting to not take the full reduction we had at our disposal when making our recommendation to the state. To leave some "in the bank" so to speak to deal with the uncertainty of MRFSS. It has worked for us ever since. Sometimes in taking less, sometimes in simply taking options that are supposedly "equivalent" and recognizing what has or has not worked better in the past.

Because of the way the dates fall we get both holidays this year. And, work is being done on the sea bass season as we speak, so we may have an even later season if possible.

Time will tell.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:24:21 AM by CaptTB »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-